Raffle & Bingo Regulations


Please see South Dakota Codified Law 22-25 for a full set of statutes. To find current and past raffle notifications, search Sioux Falls City Clerk's Records Online.

State law provides that before any authorized organization conducts a bingo game or before selling any chances for a lottery provide thirty (30) days' written notice to the governing body or designated administrative official of the municipality in which it intends to conduct the bingo game or lottery (SDCL 22-25-6(1 )). Those wishing to conduct a raffle in the City of Sioux Falls need to provide thirty (30) days' written notice to the Sioux Falls City Clerk before selling any tickets for a raffle or conducting a bingo game.

Bingo, as defined in SDCL 22-25-23 or lottery as defined in SDCL 22-25-24 may not be construed as gambling or as a lottery within the meaning of SDCL 22-25-1, if: (1) The bingo game or lottery is conducted by a bona fide congressionally chartered veterans' organization; a religious, charitable, educational, or fraternal organization; a local civic or service club; a political party; a volunteer fire department; or a political action committee or political committee on behalf of any candidate for a political office which exists under the laws of the State of South Dakota (SDCL 22-25-25).

Any organization that conducts a raffle and tickets or shares for such lottery that are sold statewide shall provide written notice of such lottery to the SD Secretary of State and to the governing body where the drawing for such lottery is held. 

No lottery may continue for longer than 18 months after the date on which the first ticket is sold. If an organization determines that a drawing cannot be held within 18 months, the organization shall notify all purchasers within 30 days that the lottery cannot be completed or the prize awarded and each purchaser is entitled to a full refund of the ticket price (SDCL 22-

Alcohol as A Prize: Please note, the State Department of Revenue has ruled that selling raffle tickets is the same as selling alcohol, therefore you cannot do so without the proper license. Contact the City Licensing Specialist at 605-367-8082 if you have questions in this regard.