The Sioux Falls Active Transportation Board is to advise the city council, city departments, and city boards regarding bicycle, pedestrian, and other active transportation and accessible pedestrian transportation modes.
To significantly reduce all transportation fatalities and severe injuries, while increasing safe, comfortable, healthy, and equitable mobility for all.
The active transportation board may provide letters of advocacy on the following matters pertaining to complete streets and active and accessible pedestrian transportation as detailed in the advisory board bylaws; to include, but not limited to the following:
- Bicycle and pedestrian corridor and connection plans.
- On-street bicycle route changes.
- Any complete street design review.
- Pedestrian and bicycle safety programs and education.
- Bicycle trail projects.
- Walk or bicycle on-site reviews.
- Traffic signal, intersection control, and crosswalk improvements.
- Bicycle parking.
- Sidewalk furnishing.
- School traffic and safe routes to school improvements.
- Other complete street, pedestrian, or bicycle issues that the board would like to provide an advocacy letter.
Number of Members
The board shall consist of nine members with seven members appointed by the mayor with the advice and consent of the city council. The board shall be chaired by the Director of Planning and Development Services or their designee. One member shall be the Director of Public Works or their designee. The seven appointed members shall be a diverse mix of citizen representatives of the community including; three persons representing the bicycle subcommittee, the pedestrian subcommittee, and the PATH subcommittee. One member shall be appointed representing the development/real estate community. The remaining three members shall be appointed at-large and representing the values, needs, and concerns of all users of the city’s roadways and transportation network system, including people who walk, ride bicycles, use transit, drive, and use other mobility devices.
Residency/Registered Voter Requirement
All members of the Board shall reside within the territory of the city or the county.
Summary of Duties
Recommendation of the active transportation board is required as a part of official business before city council approval on the following items and as detailed in the advisory board bylaws. The board may provide letters of advocacy on the following matters pertaining to complete streets and active and accessible pedestrian transportation as detailed in the advisory board bylaws.
Commission on Active Transportation Board
Members serve three-year terms.
- Bradley Hartmann - Term Expires May 2026
- Lindsey Holmquist - Term Expires May 2026
- Ritchie Hutchinson - Term Expires May 2025
- Chrissy Meyer - Term Expires May 2026
- Jacqueline Palfy - Term Expires May 2025
- Chad Pickard - Term Expires May 2024
- Koni Sims - Term Expires May 2024
- Planning and Development Services Director or Designee - Indefinite Term
- Public Works Director or Designee - Indefinite Term