Irrigation Contractor

Becoming a Landscape Irrigation Contractor

The City of Sioux Falls requires a "Landscape Irrigation Contractor License" of all contractors doing lawn sprinkler work within the city limits. Homeowners are not required to obtain a license, but must acquire plumbing homeowner’s permits and would be responsible for plumbing code compliance and obtaining any required inspections.

In order to acquire this license you must submit application, appropriate license fees and a $10,000 Compliance Bond. You will receive the City Plumbing Ordinance folder upon application (This folder is also available for purchase for $5.00). Please review the license application (2B25038 link on the right) for more information.

For more information, you may contact Building Services at:

Irrigation Contractors FAQs

Why does Sioux Falls require licenses?

The main objective is to protect the residents and properties in the city of Sioux Falls. Life safety is the number one goal! General knowledge of electrical work is needed to pass examination. Licensure assures protection of the contractor, the home or business owner, and the city.

I already have a state license, isn't this good enough?

If you are doing any plumbing work in the city of Sioux Falls, you must also carry the City of Sioux Falls license.

What kind of work does this license allow me to do?

In order do work on landscape irrigation or lawn sprinklers in Sioux Falls, you must hold this license. This license will allow you to do work on atmospheric type or reduced pressure principle backflow preventers, rain sensor installation. It is required that sprinkler heads are not spraying into the public right away, including sidewalks, driveways or the street.

Do I have to have inspections of my work?

Inspections must be called in for work completed on a landscape irrigation system. We will inspect that the backflow preventer and rain sensor is installed properly.

What if I want to do more plumbing work than just landscape irrigation?

You must acquire a Master Plumber license to do additional plumbing work or installation.

What if I want to do electric, plumbing, or construction work?

Separate licenses are required for each field (building, electrical, plumbing, and mechanical). There are examinations required for each field. Electrical and plumbing also require state licenses before applying for examination with the city.

Under no circumstances is a landscape irrigation plumbing contractor allowed to any electrical, mechanical, master plumber or residential building work unless they also hold the appropriate, additionally required, licenses.

Where can I get a "Compliance Bond"?

Most insurance agents can issue a bond or certificate of liability insurance.

I am already bonded and insured. That's all I need, right?

You will need a new bond made specifically to the City of Sioux Falls.

Once I get the license, is it good forever?

No, licenses must remain active by providing current bond information. Licenses also must be renewed every two years. If a license expires, it cannot be renewed after 12 months from expiration without re-examination, unless the Master Plumber has applied for and kept current his Inactive license.