Refrigeration Contractor

Becoming a Refrigeration Contractor

The City of Sioux Falls requires a "Refrigeration Contractors License" of all contractors doing refrigeration and coolant work within the city limits.

In order to acquire this license, the contractor must first take and pass the Refrigeration Contractor examination. This examination is a timed test based on the International Mechanical Code (see the instructions with the application for study suggestions). There is a $75.00 examination fee due upon application. This exam is offered once per month. Please review the examination application (2B25014 link on right) for more information as well as the exam schedule.

Once the applicant has taken and passed the exam, he or she can then apply for the Refrigeration Contractor License. You will receive the City Mechanical Ordinance folder upon application for license (This folder is also available for purchase for $6.00). Upon application of the Refrigeration Contractor’s License must submit a $10,000 Compliance Bond and the appropriate license fees within 90 days of examination. Please review the Refrigeration Contractor’s license application (2B25006 link on right) for more information.

For more information, you may contact Building Services at:

Refrigeration Contractors FAQs

Why does Sioux Falls require licenses?

The main objective is to protect the residents and properties in the City of Sioux Falls. Life safety is the number one goal! General knowledge of construction work is needed to pass examination. Licensure requires bonding and insurance for liability protection of the contractor, the homeowner and the city.

I already have a license in another state, does Sioux Falls reciprocate?

No, the city of Sioux Falls does not reciprocate any licenses.

What is required to pass the examination?

Examinations require 75% or higher score for passing.

What type of questions should I expect on the examination?

There are 20 multiple choice questions, each answer worth one point. Each answer requires you list the code section where the answer is found, which is also worth one point. This test is worth 40 points total. Please refer to the examination application (2B25014 link on right) for more information.

Where can I get a "Compliance Bond"?

Most insurance agents can issue a bond or certificate of liability insurance.

Where can I get the code books required for the examination?

To purchase code books, please contact

What if I want to do electric, plumbing, or construction work?

Separate licenses are required for each field (building, electrical, plumbing, and mechanical). There are examinations required for each field. Electrical and plumbing also require state licenses before applying for examination with the city.

Under no circumstances is a Refrigeration Contractor allowed to any electrical, plumbing, mechanical contractor or residential building work unless they also hold the appropriate, additionally required, licenses.

I am already bonded and insured. That's all I need, right?

You will need a new bond made specifically to the City of Sioux Falls.

Do I have to have my bond and insurance before I test?

No, but you must have these documents when applying for the license. It is recommended that you check with your agent regarding the process to acquire the bond and insurance, but we suggest waiting until you receive notification that you have passed the exam before acquiring them. When submitting the bond, you must submit the original and if you receive the bond too far in advance there is a chance of misplacement.

What if I fail the test, can I take it again next month?

The first time you take an exam and fail, you are able to retest again in 30 days. Each time you fail the exam following, you must wait 90 days before you are able to retest.

What if I pass the test, but don't apply for the license within 90 days?

You must retest if you do not apply for a license with 90 days of exam.

Once I get the license, is it good forever?

No, licenses must remain active by providing current bond information. Licenses also must be renewed every two years. If a license expires, it cannot be renewed after 12 months from expiration without re-examination.