Meter Bags

Parking Meter Bags

Meter bags are available to be rented by companies while actually engaged in a business activity in the downtown area. Allowed activities include those that involve repair work, maintenance, construction, utility work, or moving. Vehicles parked at a meter bag must be necessary for that specific project or activity and have commercial plates or signage indicating that the vehicle is used for commercial purposes. Vehicles used only for commuting to the job site do not qualify. Meter bags are not to be used by downtown business or property owners or their employees for general parking. Contact Public Parking for more information on allowable uses and the current rates.

Frequently Asked Questions

Where can I park Downtown?

We offer over 1,000 on street and over 2,500 off street parking spaces for public use. Rates and usage restriction vary based on the time and day of the week. Free parking is offered after 5 p.m. every day, on weekends, and City holidays. Please visit our Downtown Visitor Map for specific information.

Is monthly lease parking available and how much is it?

We offer numerous rate and location options. Our Parking Facilities Map provides detailed lease information. Please contact our office for availability

Where do I go/how do I get set up to lease parking?

Lease contracts must be completed at the Public Parking Office.

Public Parking
City Hall Ground Floor,
224 W 9th Street
Sioux Falls SD 57104

What are the hours of enforcement at the meters?

Parking meters are enforced 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday through Friday, except City holidays.

How much does it cost to park at a meter?

Parking meters cost $1.50 per hour.

How do I pay a parking citation?

You may pay online:
Go to Online Payment Site

You may pay by mail:

Public Parking
PO BOX 2318
Sioux Falls, SD 57101-2318

You may pay in person:

City Hall Ground Floor
224 W 9th Street
Sioux Falls SD 57104


Any First PREMIER Bank Location

When is parking free?

Free parking is offered after 5 p.m. every day, on weekends, and City holidays.

How do I obtain a handicapped parking permit?

Handicapped parking permits are administered by the South Dakota Department of Motor Vehicles. More information is available at their website or by calling 605-773-3541.

My vehicle was towed, how do I get it back?

If your vehicle was towed for unpaid parking citations, contact the Public Parking office at or 605-367-8170. After citation payment is made, you will be issued an authorization for vehicle release and informed which tow company your vehicle is being stored with.

Why are motorcycles, mopeds and scooters prohibited from parking in gated parking facilities?

As recommended by the manufacturer of the parking gate equipment, motorcycles, mopeds and scooters are prohibited for the safety of the driver. The gate equipment is not designed for these vehicles and there is a threat of personal injury from a gate coming down on a rider.

How do I appeal a parking ticket?

To request a hearing, file a written appeal form along with $5.00 appeal fee to Public Parking Office, City Hall Ground Floor, 224 W. 9th Street, Sioux Falls, SD. Appeals must be received within seven days of ticket issuance. Appeals without proper information or not filed on time will be rejected. The Parking Ticket Clerk Office can be reached at 605-367-8170. Parking Appeals Form

How do I contact your office?

Public Parking
City Hall Ground Floor,
224 W. 9th St.
Sioux Falls, SD, 57104

Phone: 605-367-8170
Fax: 605-367-4599

Hours of Operation
M-F: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m