Waste Hauler FAQs

Reporting Process:

The City of Sioux Falls Sustainability Program receives monthly reports for each licensed waste hauler’s municipal solid waste (MSW) and yard waste totals for the previous month. Material recycling facilities (MRFs) submit monthly reports as well.  

Once the information is compiled, Sustainability creates each waste hauler’s monthly recycling report to be reviewed, signed and returned. If a hauler disagrees with the report, Sustainability will follow up.   

The report includes MSW from the Lincoln County Transfer Station and any additional claims. Further information can be found below.  

How does the City calculate a waste hauler's recycling rate?

 Current recycling rate calculation:

City Hauler Calculations 1

 (Ordinance 57.081)

What is the annual enforcement process?

  1. The first year a waste hauler fails to meet mandatory recycling standards will prompt a notice of violation (NOV). Within 30 days of receipt, the City must receive a corrective action plan along with a surcharge of $1 per municipal solid waste ton hauled to the SFRSL for the previous calendar year.

  2. The second consecutive year recycling standards aren’t met, the City must receive an acceptable corrective action plan, developed by a qualified environmental engineering consultant, within 60 days of NOV receipt. The consultant must attest there is reasonable expectation the plan will will bring the hauler in compliance. A surcharge of $2 per municipal solid waste ton hauled to the SFRS must be paid for the previous calendar year.  

  3. The third consecutive year recycling standards are not met will result in license revocation for five years. (57.105 (h 1-4)

How does the City determine what hauler can claim as a recyclable?

How do haulers get credit for recyclables self-shipped by their customers?

Garbage haulers who provide both waste and recycling services for businesses may claim recyclable materials businesses ship themselves by using the additional claim form or the business self-shipped form. A verifiable weight ticket must be available if requested by the Sustainability Coordinator. In addition, materials and processes must be approved on the EPA’s “Measuring Recycling: A Guide for State and Local Governments” Table B .(57.031)

What materials count towards a hauler's total Municipal Solid Waste (MSW)?

What a waste hauler brings to the landfill is generally coded as “MSW” and counts towards a hauler’s total MSW. Occasionally waste haulers’ customers generate waste which is not considered by the EPA to be Municipal Solid Waste. The EPA’S “Measuring Recycling: A Guide for State and Local Governments” Table A has a list of examples. It is the waste hauler’s responsibility to request an exemption for this material by filling out the MSW Case-by-Case Exemption Form and returning it to the Sustainability Coordinator to have the tonnage removed from the hauler’s MSW total.

What items are required to be recycled?

Required recyclables include paper, cardboard, chip board, plastics, metal containers, newspaper, and electronics. Waste haulers shall not collect solid waste containing visible required recyclable materials for disposal. Instead, haulers must leave a note explaining why solid waste was not collected. The Sustainability Coordinator has free sample “oops” stickers for this purpose that can be picked up by haulers. 

(57.001, 57.032

What recycling services are haulers required to offer to residents, multi-family housing and business?

All licensed haulers must have: 

1) A pay-as-you-throw (PAYT) rate to reward people who reduce their level of solid waste collection service based on volume or weight.  

2) A rate that provides customer incentives to reduce weekly solid waste collection.  

3) A rate that includes the cost of solid waste, using the above elements, and recycling collection services.  

Haulers must collect recyclable material from residential customers at least twice per month and offer single-stream recycling. (57.027)  

Multi-Family Housing:  
The owner of every apartment or multi-family housing unit must 1) facilitate recycling in each building by providing adequate single-stream recycling containers in a convenient location, 2) provide recycling along with garbage service, 3) distribute written recycling information to tenants at least annually, and 4) post recycling information in a conspicuous place available to all residents. (57.029)  

Commercial and business establishments, government facilities, entertainment facilities, and schools shall separate from the waste stream all materials banned from the landfill generated at the establishment. Recyclable materials shall not be deposited at the sanitary landfill, and must be collected at m twice per month. Nonresidential sites may use either single-stream, dual-stream, or source-separated methodology for collection and management of recyclable materials. (57.028, 57.030

How can haulers become more involved in the local solid waste industry?

The Solid Waste Planning Board is a Mayor-appointed board that reviews current waste stream landfill users and future recycling efforts. It also assesses current ordinances and recommends appropriate changes. Two board positions  are reserved for waste hauler/recycling industry representatives. When there is a board vacancy, the City will send a news release. Please check the board’s page for information on past and future meetings: Solid Waste Boards and Commissions


The City hosts occasional solid waste industry meetings. Haulers are typically notified via email. To add yours to the mailing list, contact the Sustainability Coordinator. You may also check the industry page for information on past and future meetings: Solid Waste Boards and Commissions