Master Plumber Contractor

Becoming a Master Plumber Contractor

The City of Sioux Falls requires a "Plumber Contractor" license of all contractors doing plumbing work within the city limits. Homeowners who live in and own a single family dwelling are not required to obtain a license, but must acquire plumbing homeowner's permits and would be responsible for plumbing code compliance and obtaining required inspections.

In order to acquire this license, you must hold a State of South Dakota Master Plumber License. Upon receipt of the state license, you may apply for examination with the City of Sioux Falls. This examination is a closed book timed test, based on City Plumbing Ordinances and the Uniform Plumbing Code (see the instructions with the application for study suggestions). You will receive the City Plumbing Ordinance folder upon application for exam (This folder is also available for purchase for $6.00). There is a $75.00 examination fee due upon application. This exam is offered monthly. Please review the examination application (2B25017 link on the right) for more information as well as the exam schedule.

Once the master plumber has taken and passed the exam, he or she can then apply for the license. Upon application the master plumber must submit a $10,000 Compliance Bond and the appropriate license fees within 90 days of examination. Please review the license application (2B25012 link on the right) for more information.

Also available to individuals who have taken and passed exam is the "Inactive Master Plumber's License" (2B25013 link on the right). This license does not allow you to do work as a contractor, but does allow you to hold a current license with the city, allowing you to reinstate your contractor’s license without being required to retest.

For more information, you may contact Building Services at:

Master Plumber Contractors FAQs

Why does Sioux Falls require licenses?

The main objective is to protect the residents and properties in the City of Sioux Falls. Life safety is the number one goal! General knowledge of construction work is needed to pass examination. Licensure requires bonding and insurance for liability protection of the contractor, the homeowner and the city.

I already have a license in another state, does Sioux Falls reciprocate?

No, the City of Sioux Falls does not reciprocate any licenses. The South Dakota State Plumbing Commission may be able to reciprocate your license, but once you receive your South Dakota state license you will still need to take and pass examination with the city before applying for the city license. You may contact the South Dakota State Plumbing Commission for more information regarding state license requirements.

I already have a state license, isn't this good enough?

If you are doing any plumbing work in the city of Sioux Falls, you must also carry the City of Sioux Falls license.

What is required to pass the examination?

Master Plumber exams require a 80% score to pass.

What type of questions should I expect on the examination?

There are 115 total multiple choice questions: 100 questions on the current adopted code and 15 questions divided equally on waste and vent, water and gas sizing drawings.

What if I want to do electric, plumbing, or construction work?

Separate licenses are required for each field (building, electrical, plumbing, and mechanical). There are examinations required for each field. Electrical and plumbing also require state licenses before applying for examination with the city.

Under no circumstances is a Plumbing Contractor allowed to do any electrical, mechanical or residential building work unless they also hold the appropriate, additionally required, licenses.

I just want to do this part-time, like helping friends finish their plumbing work in the basement and other small projects. What license do I need for this?

If you are receiving compensation for doing plumbing work, even if part-time, you are required to hold a state and city Master Plumber’s license. All work must be inspected, and the inspections must be called in under a Master Plumber’s license.

Where can I get a "Compliance Bond"?

Most insurance agents can issue a bond.

I am already bonded and insured. That's all I need, right?

You will need a new bond made specifically to the City of Sioux Falls.

What if I pass the test, but don't apply for the license within 90 days?

You must retest if you do not apply for a license with 90 days of exam. It is recommended that you apply for Inactive Master Plumber before the 90 day deadline to avoid retesting, if not immediately applying for Electrical Contractor.

Once I get the license, is it good forever?

No, licenses must remain active by providing current bond information. Licenses also must be renewed every two years. If a license expires, it cannot be renewed after 12 months from expiration without re-examination, unless the Master Plumber has applied for and kept current his Inactive license.